Our skin is our largest organ. It is estimated that your skin absorbs approximately 60% of what you put on it (and a much higher percentage of nanoparticles and “penetration enchancers” found in many lotions and sunscreen). It can take as little as 26 seconds for chemicals applied to the skin to enter your bloodstream. This is the reason why many medicines are delivered through the skin, most often in the forms of patches or gels. This method is quite potent and effective at delivering chemicals into our body. When you skin is warm (such as when you are in a hot shower or washing your hands in warm water), the pores open up which can increase the quantity and speed the rate at which toxins are absorbed.
It is also common to take medications sublingually (under the tongue) because of the speed at which the medications are absorbed and enter the blood stream. Some chemicals are even more dangerous when absorbed through the skin or sublingually because they bypass our digestive system, which can metabolize and break down some toxins. Think for a minute: most antibacterial soaps and toothpastes come with warnings not to ingest. Why then would you apply it to your skin or swoosh it around in your mouth? Check your shampoos, bath soaps, toothpaste, and cleaners.