These are perfect for end-of-the-year teachers' presents, housewarming gifts, tokens of appreciation, and a wonderful way to ship delicious baked goods to soldiers serving overseas (or college students away from home).
What you'll need:
*5-6 wide mouth, pint-sized glass canning jars
*1 boxed cake mix or your favorite recipe and all ingredients
1. Wash jars according to manufacturer's instructions (I put them in the dishwasher)
2. Preheat oven according to recipe
3. Prepare cake batter according to recipe
4. Put just a slightly less than 1 cup of cake batter into each jar (I had approx. 4.5 cups of batter that I divided over 5 jars)
5. Place jars on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 15 minutes less than you would if you were baking it as a regular cake. I used a bamboo skewer to test for doneness.
6. In the meantime, boil and then dry the lids.
7. As soon as you remove the cakes from the oven, screw on the lids (be very careful as the jars are very HOT!)
8. Decorate the jars to be used as a gift or box them up for a care package.
"M" wanted to keep the cakes at home and ship herself to Daddy!